The inspirational winners of the 2018 Animal Hero Awards were announced at a star-studded ceremony in London last week (Thursday 6 September 2018).
Hosted by Amanda Holden and organised by The Mirror, in partnership with leading pet food brand, Webbox and animal welfare charity the RSPCA, the event celebrates the best examples of bravery, dedication and resilience in the animal world.
Thirteen winners were recognised across a range of categories, including Inspirational Animal of the Year and Young Animal Hero, having been chosen by a carefully-selected panel of judges, comprising TV personalities, a respected veterinarian and Tony Raeburn, Webbox brand owner and Pets Choice CEO.
Tony said: “It has truly been an honour to be involved in this year’s Animal Hero Awards. From Beau the Shire horse to King the lion cub, the tales that have come to light in the lead up to this incredible event have been heart-warming, tear-jerking and will certainly not be forgotten.
“The fantastic event shines a light on the incredible achievements of people and animals from across the country, giving them a platform to receive the recognition they deserve. All nominees and winners should be immensely proud of their outstanding achievements, they have inspired the nation.”
Amanda Holden added: “All of our winners are truly amazing, and when you hear their stories it fills you with hope. Whether they are inspirational animals, selfless charity workers or lifelong campaigners, they all share one thing – they make you realise the wonderful bond that exists between people and animals, and how we can all make a difference if we try.”
David Adshead, partnerships director of the Animal Hero Award, concluded: “All the winners of this year’s awards are truly inspirational, and brilliant examples of bravery, dedication and resilience in the animal world. These amazing awards would not have been possible without the fantastic support of our partners Webbox and the RSPCA.”
Winners crowned on the night were:
- Services to Wildlife – Anne Brummer
- Outstanding Contribution – Steve Backshall
- Lifetime Achievement – Dr Jane Goodall, DBE
- Young Animal Hero – Dara McAnulty
- Animal Rescue – King (Born Free)
- RSPCA Superstar – Phil Hamilton
- Hero Animal of the Year – Beau
- Special Recognition – Dr Abdul-Jalil Mohammadzai
- Special Recognition – Michelle Clark
- Special Recognition – Linda Goodman
- Inspirational Animal of the Year – Scarlett Beagle
- Conservationist of the Year – Cristina Lapis
- Inspirational Animal of the Year – Braveheart